Why doesn't my 802.11a data show up when surveying with Ekahau Pro and an iPad?
For over a year now, I have been plagued by an issue when troubleshooting/upgrading WLANs. The issue is simple - when I step into a site with little to no documentation, I start off with a Validation Survey to see what the environment looks like - and it helps to find APs that might be lurking behind filing cabinets, on desks, on book shelves or sitting on top of ceiling tiles - or my favorite, which is hanging on the wall like a clock. When I find them, I always ask my colleague what time it is. The reply is always, "it's time to get that AP mounted properly!". Please don't put ceiling mount APs where they don't belong!
Back to the issue regarding the validation survey and the "Mystery of the Missing 802.11a 5GHz data". The first time it happened, I thought I had done something wrong. Surely I had misconfigured something on the iPad somewhere. I walked a site that had both 1131s and 3502s on the ceilings and I noticed a pretty green map on the 3502i series side of the house. I kept walking, not looking at the data as I thought it was collecting fine. When I returned to the office, I noticed when reviewing the file on my desktop that the 5GHz 802.11a appeared to be missing where the 1131s were. I asked around and nobody had a great answer as to why this is happening. After all, Ekahau Pro is a WLAN survey platform and there are a bazillion customers using it and nobody has seen my issue. I was convinced it was something I was doing.
This is what the floor looks like from the documentation/monitoring side of the deployment: